Recent Sermons

Friday, March 4, 2011

Assembling a Prayer List - Part 1

Assembling a personal prayer list takes time and effort, but the pay-off is richly rewarded. Don't allow yourself to think: "I can't take all this time for something like this." As believers, we can and we must. The next few posts will walk through assembling a list that you might use for a month or so. I am using the ACTS acronym as a start (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication).

Adoration - this month I am highlighting the faithfulness of God in my personal time with Him. There are three components in my list: 1) adoration with the heart; 2) adoration with the mind; 3) adoration with the voice.

  • Adoration with the Heart - I begin my prayer time by simply praising and thanking God for His faithfulness. This is spontaneous time and may include recent examples in my life.
  • Adoration with the Mind - this is structured Bible where I have a list of Bible concepts framed in a first-person way. I use these to think with God about His faithfulness. It should be a short list (maybe five items). Here is an example:
  1. You will always do what You say. He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.” (1 Thessalonians 5:24)
  2. You are faithful. It is by You that I have been called into the fellowship of Your Son, Jesus Christ my Lord (1 Cor 1.9). My salvation does not depend upon me. My confidence is in the fact that You called me and saved me. I will not boast in myself or presume upon Your faithfulness toward me.
  3. You are faithful; You will not allow me to be tempted beyond what I am able, but with temptation You will also make the way of escape, that I may be able to bear it (1 Cor 10.13).
  4. You are faithful; so when I preach Your Word, it will be a sure and certain message (2 Cor 1.18).
  • Adoration with the Voice - it may not sound pretty to the ears of men, but I believe God wants me to sing to Him. So, I pick a hymn and include it in my list. Usually the hymn is one that dovetails with His attribute. You can find them in your hymnal index. This is how I finish my adoration of God. This is the hymn I've chosen for the faithfulness of God:

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Refrain

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Refrain

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Refrain