Recent Sermons

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My Birthday and Sins Unique to Perverse Generations

Pete Steveson points out that the word ‘generation,’ occurring four times in Proverbs 30.11-14, “represents the circle of life, a generation, encompassing the birth, the life, and the death, and then beginning again with a new generation” (A Commentary on Proverbs, Peter A. Steveson, Greenville: BJU Press, 2001). Today is my birthday. Birthdays are always reflective times. They certainly are not what they used to be. Whenever I face a birthday now, it seems it just reminds me of how short my time here is.

Characteristic of the generation I know are the four things mentioned in these verses (Proverbs 30.11-14 NKJV): disrespect for parents, self-righteousness, pride, and greed.

There is a segment of society which is generally disrespectful toward parents. The attitudes of sons and daughters (adult or child) tends to a light, ‘fearless’ stance when it comes to parents. They generally disregard the opinions of their parents and take little time thinking about the ramifications of going against their counsel.


Another segment is ‘pure in its own eyes, yet is not washed from its filthiness” (30.12). These are those who have the externals taken care of but are inwardly rotten. In short, this is hypocrisy. The most appalling aspect of this attitude is that it is harmful to so many. Self-righteous people do more to unravel the church’s testimony for Christ than any other single thing in my book. Going through the motions without a tender heart toward God is quite destructive.

A third characteristic refers to arrogant people who look at others with great contempt. Psalm 131.1 gives us the opposing stance: “LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor my eyes lofty. Neither do I concern myself with great matters, nor with things too profound for me.” That’s an interesting way to put it. The profound and great matters concern those things ‘above us’ or too heavy for us to bear. Those matters belong to the LORD who made us. In other words, arrogance is best battled by learning dependence.

The final area of concern is greed. The imagery paints a picture of a ferocious animal devouring others. Along with the destruction comes the elimination of not just the poor and needy but of all compassion as well. Greed typically blinds a generation to the real needs that abound in a Christless society. Priorities are not clearly grasped in such a society because of the drive to thrive.

The Lord has reminded me that my time is short. I can bemoan the generation in which I live or I can use my days to make it better. It all begins with my own life. Does it reflect a life willing to be spent for others and restrained by the Word of God? If not, why live another year?